Table of Contents:
- Check Canary status
- Make sure notifications are enabled
- Check the Canary app
- Make sure your masks are accurately placed
By default, the Canary app will send you a notification if your Canary device detects motion when it's in Away mode. Alerts should take between 5-15 seconds to be delivered, however they can take up to 45 seconds. The time it takes for a notification to be delivered is dependent on three factors:
- Home network environment and configuration.
- The Canary cloud and computer vision processing time.
- Your mobile phone's connection.
Canary uses "computer vision" to determine if motion is happening, which means it’s looking at changes in the pixels on the screen. Once enough video is processed, Canary's computer vision algorithms try to filter out repetitive motion from things like ceiling fans, or background motion like lights and shadows to provide you with intelligent notifications.
In most cases, you can troubleshoot notification issues right from your phone and the Canary app.
When on our Premium Service, regardless of when the notification is received, your Canary will immediately start recording footage when motion is detected. To find out more about Premium Service, click here.
Note: To learn more about customizing modes, visit Modes overview.
Check Canary status
Check Canary system status to see if we're experiencing any temporary service interruptions that may impact notifications being delivered. If the status is "Operational" that means all things are normal with the Canary Cloud.
Make sure notifications are enabled
Make sure you have a good mobile signal and your device is not in 'do not disturb' or 'airplane mode.' Both iOS and Android have these settings that can block alerts and notifications from being received.
Double-check that you've allowed Canary to send you notifications. In your mobile device's settings, verify that you've enabled this feature and that the specific notification style for the Canary app meets your preferences.
Enable iOS notifications
- Tap the Settings app.
- Tap Notifications.
- Scroll down and tap the Canary app icon.
- Make sure the Allow Notifications toggle is green.
- Make sure the Show on Lock Screen toggle is green.
- Make sure Alert Style When Unlocked is set to Banners or Alerts.
Enable Android notifications
- Navigate to the Settings app.
- Tap Apps.
- Tap Canary.
- Select Show notifications.
Check the Canary app
Make sure your device or location is set in a mode that sends notifications.
By default, your Home mode preferences do not have recording enabled. If you see “Recording is off” on your home screen, then your device is in a non-recording mode, and will not generate motion-activated recordings or notifications. Alternatively, when your device or location are in privacy, the camera and microphone are completely off. To send alerts, Canary needs to be in a mode that's configured to both record video and send notifications.
To enable notifications, you may need to:
- Manually switch to Away mode.
- Manually toggle the Set location to private setting off.
- Customize Home, Away, or Night mode to record video and send notifications.
Note: Recording and alerting in home mode is restricted to Canary Premium Service users. To learn more about Canary Premium Service, click here.
If you continue to have issues, please complete the following:
- Force close the Canary app.
- Delete, re-download, and reinstall the Canary app.
Important: After re-install make sure you select Ok when prompted to allow Push Notifications
Make sure your masks are accurately placed
You can use masks to ignore activity in certain zones, reducing the number of false alarms. However, if your masks are covering an area of important activity, you won’t record video or receive a notification about that activity. If you have adjusted the placement of your Canary device, your masks may no longer be covering the correct area, and may need to be adjusted.
To adjust your masks, follow these steps:
- Open the Canary app.
- Swipe down on your Home Screen.
- Select the location to which you would like to add a mask, if you have more than one.
- Tap Devices.
- Tap on the name of the device to which you would like to add a mask.
- Tap Add mask.
- Drag the edges of the mask until it is the desired size and position.
- Tap Save mask.
Activity Zone Masking is only available on Premium Service.