Click here to troubleshoot with our guided assistant
What are Canary's modes?
You can set Canary to one of three modes: away, home, and night. You can also customize your Canary to switch between these modes automatically when members leave or arrive home, or you can manually select them from the Canary app’s Home Screen.
- Away mode: When all members are away, Canary monitors your home for activity and sends you a push notification when it detects movement.
- Home mode: When at least one member is home, you can customize Canary to send you notifications when it detects activity, record activity without sending motion-activated notifications, or disable the camera and microphone entirely.
- Night mode: You can set a schedule for when you want your Canary to monitor your home for activity with or without sending you motion-activated notifications. Alternatively, you can schedule your Canary to be set to private.
How do I customize modes?
If you’re on the free plan, your location will automatically be set to private when at least one user is home. If you’d like to customize individual devices to record video and send notifications in home and night modes, please upgrade to Canary Membership. Learn more at canary.is/membership/.
Step 1: Go to your Mode Settings
To go to your Mode Settings:
- Tap the mode icon on the Home Screen
- Tap Edit.
Note: If you would like Canary to automatically switch modes when other members leave and arrive home, make sure Auto-mode switching is enabled. For more information, visit Automatic mode-switching.
Step 2: Select the mode you want to customize
Tap either home mode or night mode to customize your preferences.
If you have more than one Canary device, you can customize mode settings to apply to an entire location, or customize each individual Canary separately.
- Tap Set All Devices to customize the entire location
- Tap Set Each Device to customize each individual Canary
Step 3: Customize home mode
You can configure Canary to record video or to be set to private when any one member is home.
You can also choose whether or not to enable motion notifications if you decide to have Canary record video while in home mode.
Tap Save to save your changes.
Step 4: Customize night mode
In night mode, you can schedule Canary to monitor for activity while you sleep.
Important: Your Canary will only switch to night mode if someone is home.
You can configure Canary to record video or to be set to private when it enters night mode.
You can also choose whether or not to enable motion notifications if you decide to have Canary record video while in night mode.
Tap Schedule night mode to choose what hours you would like night mode to be enabled.
Important: The hours you choose should be based off the timezone of the defined location address within the Canary app.
Tap Save to save your changes.
Note: Notifications will be silenced if your phone is set to Do Not Disturb.
Set to private
If you normally have your Canary set to record while you're at home, and you want some privacy, you can use the privacy toggle to temporarily stop your Canary from recording motion.
Tap the toggle labelled Set location to private to prevent Canary from recording and to disable the Watch Live feature.